Sunday, February 22, 2009

Some Finishing Touches

The weekend of the baby showers, my mom finished up the nursery by adding the safari border to the wall-papered wall, a lamp that was actually mine when I was young (but is now updated with a cute "abc" fabric on it) and having Jim and my dad hang this uber-adorable valence above the window (might I add there was actually NO fighting while hanging this valence..may be a first for g.g. and Pops)! It has lions and elephants on it and the bottom is the "abc" material used on the lamp.
This week Jim and I did some major shopping to Target and Babies R Us to add some finishing touches to the nursery. We needed a mattress to put in the crib (helpful) along with some other items. I did a load of laundry to get all of his essentials (i.e. sheets, mattress pads, clothes to come home in) that say "wash before use" all cleaned up for him Saturday night (fun, no, but yes, productive night). I was afraid of the "Wrath of Jan" so I ironed the dust ruffle for the bedding this morning after giving Easton breakfast -- which lead to me ironing the sheets -- WHO IRONS SHEETS!?! I must admit, I kept thinking I was going crazy and told myself it was stupid to do, but I HAD to get the wrinkles out of at least the sheet that would be the top layer -- can you say "nesting?" Maybe he won't make it to being induced - ahhhh, scary! We read somewhere to do a few layers of sheet-mattress pad-sheet to help make bed changes easier in middle of the night -- hopefully it works! Here is a pic of the bedding all put together (a crib looks so much nicer w/o baby clothes all over it)! Don't worry people, the quilt and bumper will be promptly removed when he starts sleeping in there, just looks so darn cute right now. Did you know, having a fan running anywhere in the nursery and all bumpers and quilts removed from the crib has shown a reduction of SIDS cases by 90%? SOLD, consider them gone! We got a mesh bumper for later to keep the airflow moving but keep his arms/hands inside the crib and have some sleep Halos to try out too.
The decor turned out awesome! We added some shelving, which is now the proud home to the giraffe bank Aunt Kris got Peanut, a stork and Curious George from Amanda. Laura S. hooked him up with the lion, monkey and elephant for the wall above the dresser -- thanks ladies! PS -- I got some turtles in there on the dresser, no worries ;-)

The changing table wall features a longer shelf with a bank, music box and clown decoration from my nursery and the frame to hold a newborn pic and his ID bracelet from the hospital. The diaper changing station has been all set up but I'm sure we'll have some tweaking to do when we start to figure things out!
Now all we need is a Peanut to fill this stuff up -- but we're both OK with him waiting until closer to his due date so we can get a few extra nights of shut eye ;-) Less than 3 weeks!

2 comments:

  1. Hey! I saw you mention Halos... have you thought of swaddlers? We use the kiddopotomus swaddlers with both the kids until about 5 mo. It was the only way to get them to sleep for long periods of time and completely safe.

    That is one nice looking room!
    Rest up!

    ReplyDelete