I went to pick James up from day care yesterday and noticed he was wheezing pretty badly when breathing. His teachers said he had been like that all day and gotten a bit worse as the day went on -- he sounded like I do when I have an asthma attack -- so I decided to give the dr. office a call and they saw him right away (luckily they have somewhat later hours)! His pulse oxygen level was at 93% (healthy is 98-100) and he was sounding like wheezing through the stethoscope -- so he got his first ever Nebulizer treatment (see pic below). It is a liquid version of Albuterol, which is used for asthma. The dr. said she thinks he just has a viral infection (so no meds will help take it away) but it could be baby asthma (which he may/may not grow out of) or allergies or just a cold. So we went to Walgreens to pick up his prescription -- we killed time waiting by going to the cards section and checking out Hoops and YoYo sound cards, he thought they were absolutely hilarious (the Easter one was awesome) -- and came home with the medicine for the Neb and an oral steroid to open up those airways. He gets a treatment every 4-6 hours unless sleeping comfortably, then we let him sleep and get well rested. The dr. said he shouldn't go to school on Thursday, so him and I stayed home and played and cleaned up the house and all his toys that he puts in his mouth all the time (well, I did most of the last stuff, he really wasn't much help with anything put playing). Above :: he snagged my phone and wanted to call DaDaDa...or one of his girlfriends, I'm not really sureBelow :: getting his second treatment of the day...Day 2 has gone much much MUCH better than the first day...he SCREAMED during the first treatments (which I guess is good because then they deeply inhale more of the medicine). Today I put him in his car seat to minimize him arching his back on me, thus eliminating one thing I had to control -- have to keep his hands in and off the tubing and his head looking forward to keep the mask on. We turned on a Baby Mozart video while doing the treatment and it worked like a charm -- the second round I was even able to hook it around his head and not hold on with such a death grip.
We're gonna play it day by day with the Nebulizer treatments and he gets the oral steroid through Sunday. Let's hope for a healthy Bug soon -- poor kiddo has been sick since mid-October when we had "plague week at the Montalbano household" and we were all sick.


No comments:
Post a Comment