Saturday, February 6, 2010

Homemade Baby Food Recipes

I went to a baby food cooking class with my neighbor a few weeks ago at Whole Foods and am just now getting around to posting the recipes -- I figure some people who read this may have young kiddos now or will eventually, so I hope this gives you something else to put in the rotation! I made the Mama Grain Baby Food for James minus the quinoa (keen-wa) as he doesn't care for its texture and I don't need him gagging himself and throwing it up all over the place -- still yummy and gets him some protein!
*************************************

HAPPYBABY’S Mama Grain Baby Food
Ready at about 8 months; makes 48, 1oz. servings
1 ½ c. organic black beans (if canned, rinse salt off first; if dry, soak overnight and then cook until tender)
4-5 organic bananas, coarsely chopped and steamed (use ½” water to boil-steam) = 3 c. banana, reserve liquid to use later
½ c. cooked quinoa (keen-wa) (bring 1c. water to boil; add ½c. uncooked quinoa, bring back to boil, cover and simmer over low heat about 10 min or until quinoa completely absorbs water; remove from heat, fluff and let stand until cooled; has a white ring around it when ready and will be very tender; makes 1 ½c. cooked quinoa)


1. Put all ingredients in blender w/ reserve liquid (add one ingredient at a time to avoid backup). Finished product should be slightly chunky.
2. Place food in ice cube tray that have cover (or Saran wrap tightly). Freeze. Good for 3-4 months. I use individual plastic baby food containers that I've washed from the store after use.

**************************************

HAPPYBABY’S Great Greens Baby Meal
Ready at about 5-6 months
1c. steamed organic spinach (about 1 bag fresh)
½c. ripe organic mango (1 med sized)
½c. ripe organic pears (about 2 pears)
1. Peel, slice and steam mangoes and pears until soft and juicy (about 5 min; steam longer if need more sweetness)
2. Wash spinach thoroughly and place wet spinach in large pot. Steam until wilted and bright green (over cooking causes spinach to turn brown).
3. Add all ingredients to blender with any remaining water from steaming and blend to smooth puree.
4. Immediately freeze into ice cube tray with lid (or Saran wrap tightly). When frozen, pop into Ziploc bag and label.

1 comment:

  1. So exciting!!! Glad that you're able to do it. James will be all the better for it. :) I loved making babyfood for Ollie and T.

    ReplyDelete