Friday, July 24, 2009

Farmer's Market Friday

James was super happy to take a walk and not use his car seat -- what a big boy!!! He loved kicking his feet out against the foot rest of the stroller -- kept him busy and must have tired him out because he fell asleep just as we were walking up our driveway (the walk was cut very short because Easton's retractable leash stopped retracting) and he took about a 1.5 hour nap -- meant I got to pull some weeds (not fun, but needed to be done)!
Thursday I was determined to get James to take a nap in his crib. He fell asleep while breast feeding around noon, so I took him upstairs to go to nap -- of course, he was wide-eyed and bushy tailed as soon as I hit the top step. I tried rocking him and dancing with him to get him to go back to sleep -- no dice. So then I thought maybe he didn't get enough food from me, so I'd give him a bottle of milk I'd pumped a couple days earlier -- well, it made him happy as he probably was hungry still, but he refused to nap still. Fifteen minutes of dancing and 20 or so minutes of fussing later = James finally asleep...for 3 hours! I didn't get anything done though because I was paranoid since he was on his belly! I kept running upstairs to check on him and I had to get a picture because it's my favorite when he sleeps with his booty up in the air (I turned the fan on high and had it pointed directly at him through the mesh bumper to make sure he got fresh air to breath). On a cool note, this was during the time that Mark Buehrle was completing his perfect game (no-hitter) versus the Tampa Rays, so I'm glad I randomly called Amanda and found out the game was on TV -- very exciting to watch even though I'm not a Sox fan -- still a fan of baseball at it's best!
Jim and James got some fun play time together on Thursday when Jim got home from work.

A close up of our smiley Bug :-D
Our neighbor, Elise, came to visit with James during the afternoon.
James took the burp rag from me and was playing with it and it ended up on his head like this -- I had to take a picture because w/ the pattern on the rag, he totally looked like an Egyptian Pharaoh :-)
I have been wanting to take James to the local Farmer's Market since it opened in June. Mother Nature had a different plan though as it rained for 3 Fridays in a row and then last week it just wasn't gonna happen. So today, it finally happened :-) It was really nice outside (pretty warm actually) and we did a lap first to check out the goods. There was a knife sharpener (old-fashioned, very cool), lots of fruits, veggies, plants/flowers and pastries and even a doggie treat station! We ended up with some fresh cherries, apple butter, pumpkin bread and a peanut butter puppy treat -- I was pretty proud of my restraint at only spending $15 -- so tempting with so many yummy items! We then took a walk around the Town Square, which was really cute. They had a little program under the gazebo for ~2-4 year olds that were singing and dancing to a "Sticky Sticky Bubble Gum" song -- I'll have to remember that for a few years from now! There is a lake that you can walk right down to and put your feet in (which I thought was potentially a drowning hazard w/ all the kids there, but I guess you gotta put some faith in parents), a splash fountain and an amphitheater -- I was impressed and we (I, as James was passed out within 2 minutes of being in the market) got some exercise walking around.
I was so excited for James to wear these Safari overalls! If I haven't previously mentioned it, I LOVE OVERALLS on boys -- sooooo cute! He wore his sunglasses to protect his pretty, big brown eyes and there is a matching safari hat too (which he wasn't in the mood to wear).

The old-school knife sharpening station -- maybe this is the best technology they have for it out there now still, but I was pretty fascinated watching him work.
The backdrop of the gazebo is a renovated wildlife area -- it was gorgeous!
When we got home, I put James down on his activity mat to play while I went to grab my sandwich and I heard the chime from the elephant and looked but didn't see him -- he had rolled himself about 3 feet from where he started. Of course, he never did the "travelling roll" while I had the video camera rolling, but it's the only way he could have gotten from point A to B so quickly (unless Easton gave him a ride, which I doubt happened). The positioning actually worked out as it gave him some tummy time too. I love the "oh nuts, Mom caught me, maybe if I'm really cute she'll forget about it and still love me" look that he's starting to work on for when he's older :-)

He was so excited about roll-travelling that he was talking to me and he got some Easton kisses for his efforts.

2 comments:

  1. Time to get the carpets cleaned .... he'll be motoring around the floors any day now!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No kidding! I keep expecting him to just get up and walk around one day like it's not a big deal :-)

    ReplyDelete